Tioman Island (Pulau Tioman) is a small island (one of the 64) in the South China Sea, situated on the southeastern side of Peninsular Malaysia.
When travelling from Singapore to Tioman Island, one thing to be kept in mind is that there is no direct Ferry from Singapore to the island. The most convenient way to travel is to take a bus from Singapore to either of these 2 destinations-
1. Mersing– (Distance from Singapore 258.0 km.)
The journey can take from 3.5 to 5 hours. The fare could range from SGD 30.00 to 35.00 depending on the bus service. The bus services from Singapore to Mersing are WTS, KKKL, Transnasional, etc.
Mersing to Pulau Tioman
The onwards journey from Singapore is by ferry. The most popular and affordable way to travel to Tioman Island from here is Bluewater hi-speed ferry. The fare is around RM 35 single journey. The sailing time is mostly around 1.5 hours.
2. Tanjung Gemuk– (Distance from Singapore 297.3 km.)
The journey can take 4 to 5.5 hours. The fare could range from SGD 30.00 to 36.50. The bus services from Singapore to Tanjung Gemuk are One Travel, KKKL, and WTS.
Tanjung Gemuk to Pulau Tioman
The Bluewater express is the ferry of choice although there are also a few private boats and Cataferry. The fare is similar to one from Mersing. The journey is also 1.5 hours but can vary with tidal condition.
Things to keep in mind while making this trip
1. It is always better to make online bookings beforehand.
2. Keep in mind the timetable for the bus and ferry both.
3. If you leave Singapore too late you probably won’t be able to make it in time for the ferry.
4. On the whole the travel through Mersing is more practical but sometimes the timings from Tanjung Gemuk could be more suitable to some.